Project Sentry Gun Forum

Discussion Center
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to projectsentrygun

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Build Progress: Gladiator II Paintball Sentry
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'm gearing up for a major build. Got some high-torque (14kg/cm) servos, and a Spyder Victor 09 paintball marker waiting to be used.
In terms of design, I'm looking at the Team Fortress 2 sentry right now. It seems fairly simple to build, with maybe a bit of parts machining involved for the bearings.. but not anywhere near as difficult as the Portal Turret (yes, I know a Portal Turret would be cool, but they are top-heavy little things). Anyways, I know there's at least one or two full-scale mock-ups out there on the internet. Has anybody tried this, or something similar? Or, just have general suggestions? I'm open to ideas.
To keep size, cost, and power consumption down, the processing code will run on an on-board Raspberry Pi (see link below).
Also, for you paintball-enthusiasts, what do you recommend for an e-trigger setup on the Victor 09?
Cheers,
~Bob

TF2 turret renders: http://alloyrabbit.co.cc/tf2refs/?p=sentry1
Spyder Victor 09: http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/product/1-KIT-VICTORBRNZ/Spyder-Victor-Semi-Auto-Bronze-Paintball-Gun-Package.html
Raspberry Pi: http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Turret Design Suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Got a remote line, to take the tank weight off the servos:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 am 
User

Firstly dont even bother with the spyder. Purchase yourself a 2nd hand ion. Cut weight by taking off the regulator and attaching remote directly into the marker, and making a plan with the reg and tank at the end of the remote. Use the battle switch to fire the board through your controler
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm
Hope you building a better rig to go with it all.

Good luck

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

cheeky wrote:
Use the battle switch to fire the board through your controler http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm

The sentry controller has an electric trigger like that built in already, just fyi. The link you gave would certainly work, and might be better for extremely high-current guns (10A). However if 5A is good enough (should be, for most airsoft guns at least, and many paintball guns) you can go with the built-in electric trigger, and save the $25 USD.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Set up the new gun and servos with the old base. Tightened up the main bearing, and it seems to have minimal wobble from the recoil. Will post some pictures when I can.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

New gun w/ remote line, new TowerPro MG995 servos, mounted on old base:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm 
User

very nice. can u pm me ur blueprint to ur set up.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Don't really have any blueprints or drawings, sorry. There's a 20-min video of the entire construction up on the Youtube channel, that shows the whole process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGe6NcU2k0

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, so I've finally gotten around to sketching out some designs. These obviously aren't the plans for the sentry that you see in the pictures above; these are for my next version.

Some technical notes on the drawings:
-The pan system relies on a circular ball-bearing base (aka. turntable, lazy susan bracket).
-The larger gears (on the main shafts in both pan and tilt systems) are unable to attach directly to the shaft. So, I have put next to each of these gears a clamping hub, which attaches to the shaft and provides holes for bolts to attach the gear.
-The gear ratios are 36:120 for both pan and tilt. With a standard 180-degree rotation servo, this results in 54 degrees of gun rotation. This roughly corresponds to the edges of the webcam "viewing cone", and means that we can have accuracy in the gun movement to a third of a degree per step
-Most of the hardware listed is available from http://www.servocity.com, in "Mechanicals & Accessories". If you plug the URL in a post (as I just did), then you can get a significant discount ;)

EDIT: I ended up using some much larger servos, with almost twice as much torque: the HiTec HS-805BB servo. It has 24 kg-cm (343 oz-in) of torque. Link: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-805bb_mega_power.html

Cheers!
-Bob

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Here's the pan/tilt mechanism (no servos yet). The base is resting on a ball bearing, which is barely visible in the video, but it is not attached to it yet (hence the shaking from the gun recoil).

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

So, after much consideration, I shelled out $80 for a pair of HiTec HS-805BB "Mega Power" "Giant Scale" servos. They are truly impressive - I can't stop the motion with my hand, no matter how hard I try. The torque is 24.7 kg-cm, or 343 oz-in. They are also quite smooth. With a 3:10 gearing ratio between the servo and the gun mount, the gun's motion is extremely smooth, precise, and unstoppable. I must say, I was not expecting such great results.

Here's a link to the servo: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-805bb_mega_power.html

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a demo of the pan system, with the servo installed.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:35 pm 
User

Beautiful! Damn that's a lot of torque! You could attach a seat and ride your sentry gun with that much torque! :lol: Or attach multiple paintball guns!? :o

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm 
User

The movement seems quite slow though... Don't you think you should decrease the ratio on the gears and get more speed?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

It's a little slow in the video because I was controlling the motion with the mouse, and it wasn't moving at the full speed. Still, it could be faster with a lower gear ratio like you said. I'll have to get on my mask and try it out :P

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

The pan, tilt, and trigger servos are now installed. Torque is insane. I have also mounted everything to a tripod made from steel pipes and plywood - the whole sentry is weighing in at about 60 pounds (27 kg) with the air tank and laptop.

And, here's a quick video demo...

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 pm 
User

OK you're going to have to tell me how you hooked up that PS2 controller :)

Come on, you know you want to......

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'm putting that into the next code release, don't worry! Right now it only works with the specific PS3 controller I'm using, so I'm working on making it compatible with a larger range of game controllers and joysticks before making it official.
If you want the beta code now, you might be able to adjust it to work with your game controller - pop me an email if you want a copy.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm 
User

loving the build so far. Very neat and sharp. ;) I was looking into controlling my own via ps2/generic gamepad and I had a small scale example up and running with code in the Arduino, but I just wasent too sure how to intergrate it into the existing code without making a mess of things:?: . Looking forward to seeing the code in action when you have it done. Keep up the good work.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Build Progress: Gladiator II Paintball Sentry
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Some more progress pics...

First coat of primer, after sanding:

After wood putty and second coat of primer:

Tripod legs and base:

Webcam protector, made from PVC fittings and plexiglass:

Webcam protector with webcam inside:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 am 
User

Did you buy the 180 Deg servo, you said US80-00 for a pair, but I see they charge US10-00 extra for the 180 Deg? Is it possible to post a part list from servocity for this build, I take it you bought all the parts from them?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Good question. I ended up buying the HiTec HS-805BB from servocity: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-805bb_mega_power.html
I bought the stock version (90-degree rotation), but the Servo library that the PSG code uses allows the servos to turn 180 degrees (it's a difference in pulse timing for the command signal to the servos - most R/C radios can only send a 90-degree range of pulses, but the PSG library can send higher and lower width pulses, expanding this range to 180 degrees) with the same servo.

Here's the parts list (keep in mind that the servo listed was not the one I ended up buying):

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm 
User

Thanks for the list, which servo mounted gear did you take, I cannot find a 48P 32T that mounts directly on the HS-805BB?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 am 
User

Also, what do you think about these servos, are they to slow? I can get them locally at a good price
http://www.hobbytronics.co.za/p/410/lar ... ears-servo

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Admin

I used this gear: http://www.servocity.com/html/48p_hitec ... gears.html
You are correct, it does not mate directly with the spline on the HS-805BB. I super-glued the gear onto the servo hub (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhayBrq3Ss8&t=0m55s)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Painted and re-assembled the sentry. Paint used was Rustoleum "Hammered" black, which gives a durable and metallic finish.
I also mounted the air tank on the bottom of the sentry, using two large hose clamps.
The camera case is not mounted yet.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

At this point, an update on the Raspberry Pi. We have determined that the Pi does not have enough computing power to run the PSG code at a useful speed. So it looks like we're back to the good old netbook/BeagleBoard....

EDIT: randall may be on to something w/ the Raspberry Pi, see this thread: overclocked-turbo-1000mhz-turret-on-raspberry-pi-t236.html

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Finished! Here's a in-depth demo and explanation...

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:37 am 
User

Great video, and great backyard you have there!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm 
User

Hi! i was looking around on the internet for a project like this and came upon this site. This is some cool stuff! I really like your Gladiator II Sentry. I was wondering if you've tried it with a loaded airsoft/paintball gun, and if so how accurate was it? I think i might try and make a similar one with a direct drive system for the pan :) Thanks for such a cool site!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Tesla,
I have done some tests with the gun loaded. It's not as accurate as a human shooter - the sentry can't see where its paintballs go, and compensate by aiming a little higher/lower, which humans do instinctively. So you're not going to get those sneaky shots at, for example, a helmet sticking up just slightly over the edge of a wall.
But with that said, it sure lays down the paint when the target is out in the open. The target anticipation, which leads a moving target based on its speed, is actually pretty scary when you're the one being shot at, and I would say that in that respect, the speed and precision of the sentry surpasses that of a human shooter. I certainly got hit a lot when we did the live-fire tests. So for a quiet strategy/sniping game, with lots of cover available, the sentry might not be the best - but in a hill-charge or scenario game, it works like a charm.

I'll get some video up from the live-fire tests ;)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
User

Thanks that's exactly what i needed to know. Me and my friends play air soft in some pretty open fields, so that should work pretty well for me :D Hehe I would love to see some live-fire test videos ;)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:21 pm 
User

sentryGun53 wrote:
At this point, an update on the Raspberry Pi. We have determined that the Pi does not have enough computing power to run the PSG code at a useful speed. So it looks like we're back to the good old netbook/BeagleBoard....

EDIT: randall may be on to something w/ the Raspberry Pi, see this thread: overclocked-turbo-1000mhz-turret-on-raspberry-pi-t236.html

Maybe this board fits the bill better. Should be fast enough I guess.

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/ ... 5341370451

Best regards,
Per Gunnar Hansø

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:19 pm 
User

https://www.servocity.com/html/32p_hs-8 ... x3za_ldU4K

are those ok to use for the servos? That shows a 20-tooth 32Pitch for the D1 size. its a lot cheaper than : http://www.servocity.com/html/32p_hs-80 ... x3zUPldU4K

thanks!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:14 pm 
User

I thought about doing a similar design but instead of using a webcam, I want to use PIR sensors to make an IR application. I want to avoid using a laptop to power the application completely and make it more of a standalone design. Any thoughts?

Report this post